- 1 pack of Lamb Bacon
- 1 onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 3 large carrots, chopped, about 1 cup
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white all purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock (or chicken broth)
- (3) 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped, about 4 cups
Dice bacon and cook in dutch oven on medium heat for roughly 10 minutes. Take bacon out of pot, set aside and drain on paper towel covered plate.
Leave 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in dutch oven and cook the chopped onion, celery and carrot for around 10 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper
Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding flour while stirring
Slowly add in chicken stock while stirring to, avoiding lumps in the flour.
Add the cannellini beans and bay leaf before bringing to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the swiss silverbeet and take out the bayleaf before taking off heat.
Add the bacon just before serving to keep it crispy
Taste for salt and pepper, and add to your preference.
Serve with Bread rolls